Being happy is a choice we make, not something that comes to us without effort. Happy people are grateful people. They are the ones who look for what is right in the world. No one person deserves to have more happiness than another, and it is achievable by anyone. You cannot “catch” someone else’s happiness for more than a short time but you can take cues from their behavior. How do they carry themselves…are they standing tall and looking you in the eye when they speak? If you observe them communicating with someone else, how do they behave? Do they reach out and touch the other person, lean closer? Are they smiling most of the time? Do they intuitively know what to do to make others feel at ease?
How you see the world, your thoughts about yourself and others, and how you behave are an indicator of your level of contentment. If you aren’t experiencing the kind of feelings you want to…check yourself. Whatever keeps you from enjoying your life and feeling at peace is something to take note of. For instance:
- If you spend all your time focusing on the character flaws of others…you might be unhappy.
- If you can’t take your eyes off the internet and the television long enough to listen to another’s question…you might be unhappy.
- If you consistently make decisions that are unhealthy for yourself…you might be unhappy.
- If your family goes out to dinner and everyone is looking at their phones instead of communicating…you might be unhappy.
- If you are afraid to try new things because you don’t want to look like a fool….you might be unhappy.
Want to find ways to enjoy more happiness? Then ask yourself what was the last thing that you did that made you feel like a giddy kid? What kinds of things make you smile and your heart feel full? When do you feel you’re at your best? What smells good, tastes good, sounds good to you…and why? If you could do one thing for the rest of your life you are not doing now…what would it be? If you had everything you needed right now with nothing to get in the way…what would that look and feel like?
Focus on the things you need to add to your life to give you the life you want. Write it down on paper and own the dream, because when you can start checking off the things you have been ignoring or putting off, you will be on track to your own version of happiness.
What will it take for you to be happy too?